Eisenhower Admits Soviets Ahead In Some Phases of Missile Race

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Jan. 14--President Eisenhower offered an opinion today that "we would more than be a little stupid" not to believe that the Soviet Union is outstripping the United States in some phases of missile development.

After all, he said, the Soviets have been working at it many years but the United States began urgent work on long-range missiles only four years ago.

But on the encouraging side of the missile and defense picture, Eisenhower said: "I think we have made very remarkable progress."

On the school integration problem, Eisenhower said, "it must be solved." He didn't say how, but he repeated an old position: that it will take time and dedication and "a standard of living by the concepts of the Constitution."

The President also said that if a Republican aspirant for the White House in 1960 doesn't go along with his basic thinking on the relationship of the government to the individual and on the need of free world cooperation, "I couldn't possibly support him." He went on to say, without naming them, that he could list half a dozen "fine, virile men in the Republican party that I would gladly support."

He said he doesn't see any real difference between Republicanism, modern Republicanism and progressive Republicanism--that he believes in applying the principles of the founding fathers to the problems of today.

Mikoyan in New York

New York, Jan. 14--The Kremlin finally shook hands with Wall Street--its ancient capitalist whipping boy--as Soviet Dep. Premier Anastas I. Mikoyan lunched with some of America's top financiers Wednesday.

In a highlight of his visit to this country, Mikoyan was luncheon guest of banking representatives. Police lines were posted in the famed financial district to keep the curious at a distance.

During a just-completed trans-continental tour, Mikoyan was the target of intense picketing in a number of cities.

In Moscow, a radio commentator, ignoring past picket incidents, lauded the warmth and friendliness of Mikoyan's reception here. The broadcaster said it proved "how much the people of our two countries want to live in peace with each other and how alien to them is the cold war."

Executions in Cuba Continue

HAVANA, Cuba, Jan. 14--The reported toll of revolutionary war crimes executions soared today to 180. Rebel chieftain Fidel Castro declared they will continue regardless of world opinion.

Asked by newsmen as he left his quarters in the Havana Hilton Hotel whether the shooting of Fulgencio Batista's accused henchmen would be called off, Castro replied swiftly: "No. To the contrary, we have given orders to shoot every one of these murderers. And if we have to battle world opinion to mete out justice we are prepared to do it."