Hum 2 Dropped for Next Year; Finley to Give Course in 1960

Humanities 2 will not be offered next year, a reliable source indicated yesterday. The course, called "Epic and Novel," is being bracketed, and will be given again in 1960.

Both of the lecturers asked for the bracketing. "I want to devote considerable time next year to the organization of Quincy House," explained John M. Bullitt '43, associate professor of English. "In addition, I plan to teach more courses in the English Department."

John H. Finley '25, Eliot Professor of Greek Literature, said that he would like "to spend more time in the Classics Department." Finley will continue lecturing in Humanities 2 when the course resumes in 1960, but Bullitt is not sure whether he will return. "There is a possibility I may continue," he remarked yesterday, "but no decision has been made."

Because Humanities 2 is to be bracketed, the Committee on General Education is sponsoring a new lower-level Humanities course, as yet unnamed, based on "dramatic literature." William Alfred, assistant professor of English, and Cedric H. Whitman '38, associate professor of Greek and Latin, will lecture. The new course, not intended to replace Humanities 2, may be given in alternate years.