MDC Will Hear Public Discussion Of MEBAC Plan

The Metropolitan District Commission will hold a public hearing Thursday at 3 p.m. for "everyone concerned" to express his opinion about plans for the new Metropolitan Boston Arts Center, Mrs. John C. Vosoff, MEBAC secretary, disclosed last night.

Objections to a projected contract between MEBAC and the MDC were raised last week by the Group 20 Players, a Wellesley summer theatre organization, which protested against MEBAC's plans to lease the new arts center exclusively to the Cambridge Drama Festival during the summer. Group 20 asked for "equal time to share the ideal site," located on Soldiers Field Road.

"This has become so much more than an issue between two theatres," a spokesman for Group 20 commented yesterday. He noted that the producer of the Boston Summer Theatre and several private citizens had backed Group 20 in requesting the hearing "to point out why MEBAC plans will jeopardize theatre in the Boston area."

Site Questioned

Questions to be raised at the hearing include whether or not the Soldiers Field Road site is proper for a project sponsored by the MDC, the Group 20 member noted. He said that "some people think the site of the new arts center should be in Boston."

"Although the hearing may not solve our problems, it will be an excellent opportunity for us and other groups or private citizens concerned with the organization of the arts center to present our opinions," the spokesman concluded.