Hill, Nelson, Ronhovde, Rubenstein, Womack Receive Rhodes Awards

Five Harvard seniors are among the thirty-two national winners of Rhodes Scholarships annouced by the Rhodes committee in December. Recipients are awarded funds for study at Oxford University in England for two years beginning next October.

Among the Rhodes scholars from the College are Thomas E. Hill, Jr '59, of Kirkland House and St. Paul, Minn., and Bryce E. Nelson '59, of Adams House and Boise, Idaho. Nelson is president of the CRIMSON and concentrates in Social Relations and History.

Erik S. Ronhovde '59, of Claverly Hall and Missoula, Mont., and Washington, D.C., is another winner. President of the Slavic Society, he will continue work at Oxford in Slavic Studies, his current major. Also named by the Rhodes Scholarship Committee is Richard E. Rubenstein '59, of Adams House and Woodmere, N.Y. Rubenstein is president of Phillips Brooks House and was elected alternate class marshal in December.

Another recipient at Harvard is John Womack Jr. '59, of Winthrop House and Norman, Oklahoma, who is majoring in History.

Candidates for the scholarships are selected on the basis of references, interviews, and college records in academic and extra-curricular activities. Two nominees from each state enter a regional competition, and from the eight regions thirty-two men are chosen.

Harvard and West Point led all colleges in students selected, with five each. The Cadet's winners include Pete Dawkins, All-American quarterback.