Truman to Speak Here During Spring Semester

Former President Harry S. Truman has accepted an invitation to speak here sometime next month, it was learned last night.

In answer to an invitation from the Harvard-Radcliffe United Nations Council to deliver the first annual Dag Hammarskjold lectureship, Truman said, "it would be a pleasure to deliver a lecture at Harvard." The United Nations Council had previously asked Truman to speak last year.

Topic Undecided

A spokesman for the U.N. Council said Truman had suggested as the topic for his speech, "The Presidency and the Constitution," which is also the topic for a series of lectures Truman has agreed to give at Columbia University. However the spokesman expressed the opinion that Truman might be persuaded to give a lecture on a topic of "a more international nature, one more in line with this particular lectureship."

Invitation from HYDC

Truman said in his letter that he was also "considering an invitation from the Harvard Young Democratic Club," but no other commitments have been made other than that he will definitely speak here. Jay F. Leary '60, Secretary of the HYDC, said he had invited Truman to speak to that organization but that he had not yet received a reply from him.

In addition to his future appearance at Columbia, Truman was a Chubb Fellow at Yale last year, residing for several days in one of the Colleges.