U.S. Amateur Sextet Loses Second Game To Touring Russians

By The ASSOCIATED Press

HIBBING, Minn., Jan. 4--Russia's 34-year-old captain scored three times today and the velvet-smooth Soviet hockey team smothered Uncle Sam's best amateurs, 7-1, 24 hours after whipping the Americans in Minneapolis, 8-3.

The U.S. Nationals touring the country in exhibition games with the Russian team is studded with four former Harvard team members. Brothers Bill Cleary '56 and Bob Cleary '56 are skating on the offensive lines for the amateur sextet. Defensemen Bob Owen and Bob McVey of the 1957-58 Crimson team are also teammates on the touring American squad. The Russians will meet the Crimson varsity next Monday, Jan. 12, in the Boston Garden.

Third Period Rampage

In yesterday's game in Minnesota, defenseman Nicholas Sologubov broke a 1-1 tie with a goal from 20 feet out in the second period and ten scored twice in the third as the Russians crumpled the Yank defenses with a five-goal splurge over the last 20 minutes.

For two periods the U.S. National team, with Army Pvt. Don Cooper of Wrentham in the nets, stood fast in the face of the Russian assault waves. But goals by Igor Dekonskii and Benjamin Aleksandrov within 14 seconds early in the third period broke the game wide open.