Crimson Quintet Loses To Bruins in Overtime

By Walter L. Goldfrank, (Special to the CRIMSON)

PROVIDENCE, Jan. 5--Brown ran off nine straight points in overtime here tonight to defeat the varsity quintet, 68 to 63. The game, fast and tense throughout as neither team ever led by more than seven points, evened the season record of both squads at five wins and five losses.

After Bob Bowditch put the Crimson ahead on a jump shot at the outset of the extra period, Bruins Dave Reed, Cliff Ehrlich, John Dellavance, and Al Diussa put the home side in front for good. The varsity fought hard to catch up, but Brown managed to hold the five point lead until the final buzzer.

Playing the entire game, Crimson guard George Harrington led all the scorers with 23 points, 11 in the first half. As a result of his fine shooting, the varsity led, 24 to 23, at half time. The rebounding of Bob Repetto and the defensive work of Mike Donohue and Griff McClellan kept the Bruins in check.

At the six-minute mark of the second stanza, a Harrington set shot gave the Crimson its largest lead of the night, 35 to 30, but Brown fought back gamely, staying within three points of the visitors. Finally, with three minutes to go, Reed put the Bruins ahead, 50 to 49, for the first time in the half.

Repetto countered with a lay-up, but Ehrlich tied the score on a free throw. Then, after Bowditch hit a jump shot Dellavance again tied it up. With one minute to play, Bowditch put the varsity in front a second time, but Al Poulsen dropped in a hook twenty seconds from the end to send the contest into overtime at 55 all. Reed subsequently missed a foul shot that would have meant a regulation Brown win.

Only Starters Score

Only the five starters tallied for the Crimson. Along with Harrington's 23, Bowditch hit for 13, Repetto for 11, Donohue for 10, and McClellan for 6. Repetto and Bowditch, with 12 and 9 rebounds apiece, were tops in clearing the boards.

Brown's scoring was more evenly distributed, as Ehrlich tallied 16, and Reed, Poulsen, and Dellavance each scored 14. The Bruins were most effective from the foul line, where they collected 18 points as compared with Harvard's 7.

Both teams used a man-to-man defense, and employed somewhat similar offenses. Brown worked off a high pivot, usually Poulsen, while the Crimson most often cut around center McClellan in attempts to get clear.

The varsity will continue its Ivy campaign this weekend with home games against Cornell on Friday and Columbia on Saturday. With a little more finesse and added accuracy from the free throw line (the varsity was good for only 50 per cent tonight), the squad could well come out on top in these contests.

In the preliminary game, the Bruin freshmen topped the Yardlings in double overtime, 75-69, as Gary Borchard scored 24 points for the losers.