HAA Institutes System In Attempt to Prevent Future Water Mishaps

As a result of the drowning Thursday on the Charles River, the Department of Athletics has instituted the use of red record cards for cases in which the Freshman swimming test is passed with restrictions, Thomas D. Bolles, Director of Athletics, confirmed yesterday.

The victim of last week's drowning, David Bachrach '59-2, successfully passed his swimming test, but with the restriction that he not use the boating facilities. This restriction was stamped in an upper corner of the white record card.

When students take the University-required swimming test, the results are recorded on a permanent record card. Then if the student wishes to use the boating facilities and has no boating restriction, his bursar's card is also stamped, to be presented by the student to the attendant at Weld boathouse.

Because Bachrach nevertheless wished to row a wherry, he showed an I.A.B. coach his white card and asked to have his bursar's card stamped. However, he covered the corner of the card in such a way that the coach did not see the restriction. Consequently, the bursar's card was stamped.

Use of the new red cards is designed to prevent such action in the future by making any restriction immediately noticeable.