Tucker Opposes Uniform Menus For Dining Halls

By Thomas M. Pepper

Carle T. Tucker, Director of Dining Halls, has told a Student Council committee that he definitely will not press for uniform menus in the House system.

"The economies that would result from such a plan would not be sufficient to warrant it," Tucker said. He responded to the Dining Halls committee's investigation following last Spring's undergraduate poll.

When asked whether they favored a single menu plan, 226 Dunster and 211 Adams House students voted "no," six voted "yes."

In a preliminary report to be given to the Student Council next Monday, the Dining Halls committee also has made the following recommendations:

1. To ease interhouse restrictions. The poll showed 65 per cent of the students responding wanted interhouse at both lunch and dinner. Committee chairman Howard J. Phillips '62 said congestion Monday-Wednesday-Friday at 1 p.m., student-tutor ratios, and discrepancies in Houses' popularities are listed as reasons for keeping interhouse only at the dinner meal.

May Limit Interhouse

Phillips said each House could limit its interhouse to 50 (as at Dudley), or interhouse could be allowed only before 1 p.m. on M-W-F, and after 1 p.m. on Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday.

2. To find out why the additional operating expenses for Quincy House were not foreseen. At last week's press conference, the Administration said the operational cost of the Quincy kitchen was one reason for the proposed rise in board rates.

3. To ask for a published annual report. Phillips said as yet no officials have given specific reasons for the general rise in costs that presumably necessitates a rise in board fees.

4. To press, in a meeting with Dean Bundy today, for some more flexible board system, perhaps a pay-by-the-item meal, an 18-meal or 14-meal per week rate, or some sign-off provisions.