Varsity Soccer Team Will Face Williams This Afternoon at Home

The varsity soccer team will try to preserve its undefeated record this afternoon when it faces a solid Williams squad here at 2 p.m. The Ephmen are probably as good a team as the Crimson will meet all season, and a victory, especially during the mid-week doldrums, is far from a foregone conclusion.

Williams' coach, Clarence Chafee, usually a close-mouthed sort, allowed earlier this fall that his squad was "one of the best in years." This can only mean that the Ephs are loaded. Their halfback line, led by Ben Field and Jim Fox, returns intact from last season, and all the Ephmen are big, rough operatives who play a hard-running, straight-ahead type of game.

Against the small Crimson forwards, Williams' size advantage could be important. But the starting line that coach Bruce Munro has called "perhaps the fastest in college soccer" should be able to handle the Ephs. Tadgh Sweeney, who turned in the finest performance of his short career Saturday against Cornell, will start at wing, along with John McIntosh. John Mudd, Saturday's scoring hero, and John Hedreen will open at inside, with carry Ekpebu and Keith Lowe alternating at center. Bruce Johnstone, though not a starter, has become a key man in the Crimson attack, and will see considerable service today.

Marsh McCall was the outstanding halfback on the field Saturday, and he should contribute heavily to the Crimson cause this afternoon from his left half position. Bill Rapp and Charlie Steele are the other two-thirds of a halfback line that should be the equal of anything Williams can produce.

Munro's squad has little to be over-confident about, however. Last year the Ephs gave the Crimson a stiff battle before bowing, 2 to 1. Another letdown like the slump a week ago against B.U. could be fatal today.