J.V. Grid Squad Beats Dartmouth On Bamford TD

The junior varsity football squad preserved its unbeaten record yesterday by defeating Dartmouth, 7 to 6. The game marked the Crimson's Ivy League opener.

Gill Bamford scored the team's only touchdown in the second period, after Grady Watts intercepted a pass on the Dartmouth 36 yard line and ran it back to the five. Dave Ward converted for the extra point.

Dartmouth made its score late in the third period, capitalizing on a fumbled kick at Harvard's 25. Although the kick was forced by a strong defensive stand, the Crimson line was unable to prevent John Appleford from going for a touchdown on the next play.

Harvard's center, Dave Nyhan, stopped the decisive try for the extra point by breaking through the Green line and downing quarterback Boudreau before he could put his play in motion.

The Indians threatened again in the last two minutes of the game when they recovered another fumble on the Harvard 40. With Nyhan calling defensive signals, however, the team tightened and held. Dartmouth tried a last-ditch field goal attempt that fell short by two or three feet.

The large number of penalties stifled other threats and in part accounted for the low score. Consistently strong play by backs Roy Williams and John Damis held the team together. Damis is also seeing a lot of action in varsity play.

Crimson ends Gerald Jordon and Paul Kirk led the passing offense. Quarterback Tom Boone made a spectacular catch in which he juggled the ball in the air and leaped to pull it down in the midst of several opponents.

Next week, the J.V.'s will put their unbeaten string on the line against Penn.