Soccer Team Nips Indians on Late Goal, McCall Boots in Free Kick for 2-1 Win

Dartmouth Scores First

By Robert E. Smith

Marsh McCall surprised everybody by scoring on a free kick with less than five minutes left in the game to give the varsity soccer team an exciting 2-1 victory over Dartmouth yesterday afternoon at home.

Just as it seemed all too certain that the varsity would have to settle for its fourth tie in eight games, the Crimson left halfback broke the game wide open. After 15 minutes of the fourth period with the game deadlocked and both teams tiring, a Dartmouth violation deep in its own territory set up the free kick. McCall got ready, seemed to look around for a place to pass, and then suddenly fired a bullet shot over the heads of his teammates and past goalie Dick Ellington, who lunged for the ball in vain.

The goal removed the disappointment of previous exasperating misses by Crimson attackers and ruined the Big Green's hopes for an upset Ivy League win. The Indian's offense lived up to all expectations by jumping to a quick lead at 5:13 of the first period.

After play had been mainly in the Dartmouth end from the opening whistle, a momentary lapse by the varsity allowed the Indian forward line to move the ball down field. The Indians dribbled the ball down through the Crimson defense and eventually over to Larry Holden on the right side. Holden shot, and Crimson goalie Tom Bagnoli saved; but the Big Green's talented forward, playing inside left yesterday, gathered the rebound and shot past Bagnoli.

It was Bagnoli's only mistake of the game, and it left the Crimson behind by a goal early in the game. Bagnoli and the Crimson backs made the difference between an important win and a bitter defeat for the varsity's defending League champions.

McCall's tie-breaking goal also took the spotlight away from sophomore Ted Wendell, whose first goal as a varsity player tied the Indians and gave the Crimson new life. At 14:55 of the second period, John McIntosh passed from the far right across the goal mouth, and after a fast scramble for the ball, Wendell managed to flip it into the nets. The ball floated high over Ellington's outstretched hands and passed just below the cross-bar.

With one minute left in the half, Wendell, who did not otherwise distinguish himself in the game except for his one fine shot, again had a chance in front of the goal. However, his kick was high, and the half ended with both teams dissatisfied over a 1-1 tie.

The third quarter was marked by wide-open play and several near misses. Early in the period fullback Lanny Keyes, again playing a fine game on defense, booted away a shot aimed straight at the goal.

The dominant individual in this period, in which the ball went from one end to the other quite frequently, was little Larry Ekpebu, varsity center forward. Ekpebu was fast and aggressive all day, but especially so in the second half. Often he stole the ball away from a Dartmouth defender and passed down the field only to be beaten by the goalie or another defenseman.

As the game progressed and the play became more ragged, the opposing coaches began to pace the sidelines. Ekpebu was the only forward on either team to get even a close shot. Then came the shot that brought the fans out of their seats, and McCall was a hero.

The Crimson's record now stands at five wins, no losses, and three ties.