New Parietal Rules Sought

Council Committee Urges Reevaluation

By Mark H. Alcott

Another round in the perpetual battle over parietal hours will be fired next week when a Student Council committee urges "a complete reevaluation of the system on the basis of undergraduate dating habits."

The committee, under the chairmanship of Al Jacobs '61, polled the College last Spring and found that the overwhelming majority of students seldom take advantage of weekday afternoon hours. Over 70 per cent of those polled indicated that they would be willing to give up the privilege of having women in the Houses on a given afternoon in return for an extension of Friday night hours.

Disadvantages Cited

Significantly, the questionnaire included a synopsis of the possible disadvantages of extra hours as stated by the Masters. The Masters had indicated that they would be interested in the results of such a poll.

Although Jacobs would not specify the recommendations to be put forward in the report, he did say that the committee would not request an extension of weekday hours in the evening, "since these are working nights."

He added, however, that "Friday and Saturday is another matter."

Forty-five per cent of the undergraduates answered the questionnaire. Of these, 41.3 per cent said they never make use of parietal rules during weekdays.

More than half of the respondents said they would be willing to trade two afternoons a week for a two-hour extension on Friday night. Over 85 per cent preferred a two hour extension to the present system.

It is obvious fom these statistics, Jacobs said, that "the hours do not adequately meet the needs of undergraduate dating patterns."