College Expects Program to Hit Goal This Year

Fund Must Raise $13.5 Million More

The College expects to successfully complete its campaign for $825 million by Christmas of this year, President Pusey announced recently.

Assistant to the President James R. Reynolds said yesterday that the University would attempt to get the remaining $13.5 million "by a selective approach to a thousand men, mostly alumni."

This estimate would put the termination of the campaign within the three years Pusey originally set in October, 1956. Reynolds attributed the early date to "a very successful summer," when the program raised $1 million largely through small donations. This, he said, was considerably more than the program collected in the summer of '58.

The University expects to attain its goal through large donations. The campaign in the remaining months will be carried on by 100-150 workers, much less than the number engaged in the nation-wide effort of the last two years.

Reynolds called A Program for Harvard College, "the best job ever done on a capital campaign." According to him, "Out of 45,000 alumni 30,000 contributed. An excellent record."

The Program, the largest ever undertaken by any university in the country, dwarfs Harvards' last campaign. This came in 1919-21 and brought the University $13.8 million, which was devoted exclusively to Faculty salaries.

Of the present campaign funds $16 million will be allocated for Faculty salaries and another $5 million for new Faculty appointments.