Tech to Build Ten Garages

With the construction of a 400-car parking garage this fall, M.I.T. begins a program which may call for as many as ten such structures in the next few years. Because of the number of cars now parking regularly at the Institute and elsewhere in Cambridge, open lots are "a luxury we can no longer afford," President Julius A. Stratton explained.

Construction of the first garage will begin in mid-November and should be completed by late spring.

The Administration plans to make the parking program financially self-supporting by charging everyone who uses Institute facilities, whether in open lots or garages, a flat annual fee. Instead of the free permits which M.I.T. now issues, resident students, faculty, and commuters will be required to purchase a year's pass, costing between $30 and $50.

Only Solution to Problem

"M.I.T. believes that structure parking is the only possible way to solve Cambridge's parking problem," Malcolm Rivkin, M.I.T. Planning Officer declared. By taking the lead in this project, he hopes to instigate further action on the part of the city.

When Harvard offered last October to divide the cost of a joint City-University parking lot near Brattle Square, the city refused the offer and it has considered no others since, City Manager John J. Curry '19 said recently.

The University provides open lot parking at the Business School, at a cost of $40 a year. A consulting firm employed by the University several years ago included parking structures in its recommendations.