Varsity Eleven To Face Cornell In Top Condition

The varsity football team will be in its best physical shape since the beginning of the season this Saturday when it faces Cornell in the Ivy League opener for both squads.

Captain and end Hank Keohane, out last week with a bruised shoulder, will be back in action against the Big Red. Keohane's defensive strength and pass-catching ability were missed last weekend, although sophomore Bob Boyda was a capable replacement.

Sam Halaby, last fall's first-line full-back, has been practicing this week, but may not start Saturday. He still has a lot of catching up to do after a long period of inactivity.

On the debit side third-string center Tony Watters, hurt against Bucknell, is on the doubtful list for the Cornell encounter. Roy Williams, a halfback who sustained pulled ligaments in his knee two weeks ago, is not expected to return before the Columbia game a week from Saturday.

Reports from the practice field indicate that the varsity is rounding into top mental condition as well. Workouts have been hard and successful preparation for the meeting with Cornell, and the team is definitely "up" for the game.

The feeling among coaches and players is that the contest will be won or lost in the line. The Crimson has a slight edge in the backfield, but the linemen must outplay the Big Red forwards if the varsity is to triumph.