Late Pioneers

In its six-week existence, Quincy House has received praise for its construction--of the $4.7 million new part. By contrast, Mather Hall, beautiful in its day, has now become second-rate. Without such "necessities" as elevators, private study-bedrooms, or large plate glass windows, the 27-year-old building holds little appeal. Quincy students consequently do not relish the thought of moving into Mather when this facility officially becomes part of Quincy next fall.

Master Bullitt says he will "encourage" students to pack up and leave his great new structure, but he will be sorely disappointed. Few, if any, wish to go to the troubles of furnishing new suites or of leaving the comforts of modern living; and since the Master has foresworn any methods smacking of coercion, he probably cannot select a certain number to move from the House into Mather. At the same time, the suggested solution of moving Quincy students into Mather from Claverly singles out a small group which should receive better rooms. Having suffered for a year in Claverly's creaking suites, they deserve to move into the new building.

One solution to this dilemma would be to permit students now residing in Mather Hall--affiliated with Leverett House--to switch their affiliations to Quincy. Those now living in Mather would not be forced to move into the Towers, where they would have to furnish new rooms; the hall would not have to be filled almost completely with sophomores. Last year, over 100 upperclassmen switched into Quincy, and this privilege should be granted those now living in Mather Hall.

Some Mather residents may wish to retain their affiliation with Leverett, and should be allowed to move into the Towers. Those, however, who do not wish to pack up or to miss the marvelous graffito should become Quincy affiliates. They can become pioneers a year late.