Adenauer Visits Britain for Talks To Mend Anglo-German Fences; U.S. Asks Aid for Needy Nations

By The ASSOCIATED Press

LONDON, Nov. 17--Prime Minister Harold Macmillan and Chancellor Konrad Adenauer began talks today to settle their differences. But it appeared that Britain was standing firm.

Flanked by advisers, the two Allied leaders conferred at Macmillan's residence five hours after Adenauer's plane landed.

About 1,300 Londoners witnessed the Chancellor's arrival in virtual silence. There were warm handshakes from Macmillan and other government ministers.

As the talks began, one new possibility was reported by informed diplomats. Macmillan and Adenauer may discuss the future of Alfried Krupp's huge coal-steel empire in West Germany.

Under a 1953 Allied agreement, Krupp was ordered to divest himself of 74 per cent of his holdings. This was to insure against the resurrection of a combine that had helped build Hitler's war machine.

An American, British, French, and West German commission is weighing whether to grant a request by Adenauer that Krupp be allowed to keep his multibillion-dollar interests.

Herter Speaks to Allies

WASHINGTON, Nov. 17--Secretary of State Christian A. Herter told the European Allies today that the time has come for them to shoulder more of the burden of aiding underdeveloped areas.

Herter spoke out on what he called "this critical area of world leadership" in a speech before legislators representing the North Atlantic Treaty Organization countries.

He pledged the United States would continue to carry a fair share of its economic burden.

Herter's carefully prepared speech fore-shadowed a determined campaign by the Eisenhower administration to persuade prosperous European nations, as well as Japan, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, to increase substantially their spending in Africa and Asia.

At present, these nations are giving about $1.25 million annually in such help. Ninety per cent of this, however, goes to their own overseas territories.

Top administration officials believe these countries could add perhaps a half a billion dollars more to such programs without strain. Herter avoided naming any countries he feels could do more.