Underrated Crimson Eleven Beats Penn

Early Scores Crumple Quakers As Boulris Dominates Enemy

By F. W. Byron jr., Special to the CRIMSON

PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 1--An underrated Crimson football team, led by the brilliant play of veteran Chet Boulris, pulled one of the season's major upsets this afternoon as it toppled Penn from the nation's undefeated ranks, 12 to 0, outgaining the Quakers 260 to 160 in total yardage and 16 to 11 in first downs.

Running and passing through a chilly, biting drizzle, Boulris fashioned perhaps the finest performance of his career. He scored both Crimson touchdowns and led the varsity's offense throughout the decisive first half with 70 yards in ten attempts on the ground and 22 yards passing, before being injured early in the third quarter.

Boulris' injury appeared to be a fairly painful charley horse, and the Crimson left halfback was limping noticeably after the game, after missing the final 25 minutes. Boulris himself said the injury was slight, but the extent to which it will keep him out of action will probably not be known until Monday.

Repeat Performance

If uncomfortable Penn fans felt during the game that they had seen this same performance before, they were quite right. Two years age the setting, plot, and featured performer were all the same as they were today--only the supporting cast had changed. The spot was rain-swept Franklin Field, Philadelphia, and a Harvard team, fresh from a defeat at the hands of Dartmouth and in the midst of one of its worst seasons on record, was expected to be easy prey for the Quaker eleven. And the star, just as today, was Boulris.

Over the ensuing two years, Boulris more than fulfilled the promise he showed in leading the Crimson to a 13-6 upset back in 1957, and Penn has also developed considerably during those two years, but apparently not enough to keep pace with Boulris.

The Crimson left halfback started the Penn downfall today midway through the first period when he leaped high on the Harvard 40-yard line to intercept a Larry Purdy pass out of the hands of Penn's speedy halfback, Dave Coffin. Boulris got away from Coffin and returned the interception back to the Penn 42. The Crimson attack, which had been sluggish thus far, could move the ball only seven yards on the tries, but with fourth down and three yards to go on the Penn 35, Boulris smashed over right guard, tore loose from several linebackers, and outdistanced the deep defenders to score at 8:52. Sam Halaby's run for two points failed.

A few minutes later, the Crimson gained control of the ball again, this time on its own 30-yard mark. With Bruce MacIntyre and Larry Repscher, both of whom performed exceptionally all afternoon, carrying for the varsity and with the line opening the Penn defenses impressively, Harvard moved the ball in eight plays to the Penn 30.

At this point, the Crimson drive appeared to be slowing, so coach John Yovicsin sent in the versatile Boulris, who switched briefly from running to passing. After missing Repscher in the flank, he threw complete to captain Hank Keohane on the Penn 11, for 14 yards, and Charlie Ravenel gained seven on a keeper before Boulris barged over right tackle for the score. Boulris' attempt for two points was called back because of holding, and the second try, a razzle-dazzle reverse and pass from Boulris to Cullen, was stopped five yards short.

From 1:36 of the second quarter the Crimson's 12-0 lead stood up, and there in lies another tale. The fact that the Quakers, who have the fastest set of backs in the Ivy League and had been averaging 23 points a game, were held scoreless is indicative of the excellent defensive play on the Crimson's part.

Penn Halted at Two-Yard Line

The best example of this work came right after Harvard's second touchdown. Jack Hanlon returned Halaby's kickoff 21 yards up the left sideline, and the Quakers, with Fred Doelling and Hanlon running brilliantly, moved to a first down on the Crimson eight-yard line. Three charges into the Harvard defenses gained only six yards, and on fourth down the powerful Hanlon was stopped for no gain at the Harvard two-yard mark by Dave Cappiello and Eric Nelson.

On the individual level, the game served to remind observers that Chet Boulris is one of the finest backs to have played in the Ivy League for some time, a fact often obscured by Harvard disappointments over the past few years. For the team as a whole, the victory left the Crimson with a 2-2 record in Ivy play and a slim chance for the Ivy title. But more significantly, the win definitely established Harvard as a tough team to be reckoned with during the closing weeks of the season.CHET BOULRIS (40) drives off-tackle for the University's second touchdown at 1:36 of the second period. The score followed his pass, completed on the 14-yard line, to left end HANK KEOHANE and quarterback CHARLIE RAVENEL's seven-yard keeper.