Dunster Dominates Fall Season, Wins in Football, Cross Country

Leads in Straus Trophy Race

With titles in tackle football and cross country, and second places in soccer and touch, Dunster House now leads the race for the Straus Trophy with 390 points. Eliot is second with 332 1/2, and Kirkland third with 295.

Undefeated in three years, the Dunster House tackle football squad led the House intramural league with seven wins, no losses, and one tie. Quarterback Jim Crampton hustled his team to a 14-12 victory over Eliot in a crucial playoff contest to clinch the crown.

Unscored upon except for an initial loss and the playoff game, both against Dunster, Eliot took second place, aided by the strong defensive play of tackles Bob Schreiber and captain Joel Linky.

Lowell Places Third in Tackle

With persistent gains by fullback Bob Wederbrand, the Lowell House Bellboys rolled up four victories against one setback and three ties to rank third in the league.

Kirkland finished fourth, running from a single wing. The Deacons lost three, tied one, and broke into the win column four times. Winthrop, Leverett, Adams, and Dudley finished next in that order.

Frustrated by Dunster in the tackle football playoffs, Eliot House quashed the Funsters in a 3-0 soccer championship fray. Alex Lagerudakis led the Eliot booters to a 5-0-3 record. Dunster thus finished second.

The Kirkland booters ran up four wins against one loss and two ties to take third place. Jim Dwinell turned in an outstanding performance during the season as net-tender.

Adams and Leverett placed fourth and fifth, respectively, while Lowell, Quincy, and Winthrop held up the bottom of the soccer league.

Winthrop Wins Touch

Set back in tackle and soccer, Winthrop House galloped away with the touch football title. Averaging more than 50 points per game, the Puritans swept undefeated through an eight game schedule. The champions used a "basketball" offense to pass over and around Adams and Kirkland for 71-19 and 70-18 victories.

With only one loss, Dunster took a second in the league, while ends Jim Murphy and Ken Robinson hustled the Adams Gold Coasters into third position with their shifty running and fine pass reception.

The Kirkland Deacons secured fourth place, while Eliot and Leverett took fifth and sixth, each with three wins.

In Freshman touch football, Chuck Mercer and Gavin Gilmore paced Grays Hall American League champs to first place over the National and Continental League pennant winners.