Student Starts Rockefeller Youth Group

A National Students for Rockefeller organization has been created "to mobilize support" through its member clubs for Governor Rockefeller's Presidential nomination, chairman Bruce K. Chapman '62, announced yesterday.

Chapman said that he proposes to spread "Rocky and Victory" literature, to organize "Rallies for Rockefeller" wherever the governor speaks, and to plan campaigns in state primaries and G.O.P. state conventions. The organization will also take straw polls, sponsor speeches by prominent Rockefeller supporters, advertise the "Rockefeller Record," and carry out a campaign of letters to editors.

Hopes to Expand

The movement has the support of 16 chapters and hopes to incorporate ten more by the end of this month. The Harvard chapter originated last spring after a College-wide poll showed Rockefeller to be preferred over Nixon. Chapman decided to expand the movement to national proportions after talking to George Wahr Sallade, national chairman of Citizens for Rockefeller.

A letter-writing campaign to the presidents of the nation's Young Republican Clubs has also been launched, in addition to an advertising campaign in selected student newspapers. The group also plans to send representatives to Governor Rockefeller to urge him to announce his candidacy.

It has received gifts from two early Eisenhower supporters from Montana and New York, and intends to increase its drive for contributions.

Other chapters have been formed at the Law School, Yale and Dartmouth, among others.