Van Doren Admits All Charges, Quits Teaching Post at Columbia; Clashes Mar Strike Discussions

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Nov. 2--Charles Van Doren confessed in shame and anguish today that he was deeply involved in rigging the defunct "Twenty-One" quiz show. Now he faces possible perjury charges in court and perhaps an end to his television career.

In a matter of hours, Columbia University accepted Van Doren's resignation, as an assistant professor in English, effective immediately.

The 33-year-old quiz contestant told a House sub-committee on Legislative Over sight that he was coached by Albert Freedman, the producer of the NBC show. Van Doren also claimed that he asked to be allowed to go on the program honestly, without help, but was told that it was impossible.

"I was involved, deeply involved, in a deception," he testified. Van Doren said he knew ahead of time what was going to be asked. He was coached on the answers and how to deliver them for maximum entertainment impact, he said.

'No Headway' Seen

WASHINGTON, Nov. 2--Federal mediators shuttled between steel industry and union negotiators today. When it was over Steelworkers Union President David J. McDonald said there was "absolutely no headway" toward ending the 111-day-old steel strike.

Government mediation chief Joseph F. Finnegan met separately with both sides in morning and afternoon.

Part of Nation to Vote

Two governors, legislators in five states, and hundreds of mayors will be elected Tuesday in off-year elections in which party leaders hope to find trend indicators for the 1960 national elections.

In Boston, John E. Powers, president of the state Senate, is favored to defeat his rival, John F. Collins, for the mayoralty Incumbent Democrat Richardson Dilworth, Mayor of Philadelphia, is expected to soundly defeated Harold E. Stassen, who is trying a political comeback.