Freshman Soccer Squad Seeks Victory Against Andover Today

The Freshman soccer team, relying heavily on its international contingent, hopes to extend a four-game winning streak this afternoon when it faces Andover here at 3 p.m.

The diversified backgrounds of its members somehow seem to pull the squad into a close-knit unit that has allowed only two goals in five games, while scoring 11 itself. But today's contest poses an exceptionally difficult challenge, as the team feels obliged to better Yale's score over Andover of 2 to 0.

The Crimson will put less than 20 men into uniform for the game, because it depends mainly on the endurance of its first string. Tony Davies, an imported left fullback from Ireland is the mainstay of the defense. His powerful kicking often broke up threatening situations in the M.I.T. encounter last week. Gil Leaf, the left wing, scored the single goal that gave the Crimson that game.

Leaf is expected to play even harder in this game, because he went to Andover himself. He is tied with Al Chang, the center, for high scorer of the team.

Mike Hare, the center halfback and captain, is one of the most tireless players. He sat out less than 20 minutes of play in all the games put together. He first played for Eton College in his native England.

Another reliable starter is Roger Wiegand, the left halfback, who has scored one for one on penalty attempts. Wiegand made that one penalty shot in the Nichols game, which Harvard won, 5 to 1.

Although the first string is in "great shape" and well able to play the length of each game, Hare asserted that the team has good depth. John Millard of Argentina is a strong substitute for Leaf and John Adams plays a "powerful" goalie position and alternates regularly with John Marshall, the other goalie.

Another energetic sub is Steve McIlvaine from Portugal, who often replaces Wiegand in the left halfback slot. Insides John McGoldrick, Henry Massie, Ezra Griffith, and Andy Campbell all alternate to support the squad's devastating attack.

This contest marks the end of the team's non-Ivy League games. The freshmen have already beaten Dartmouth 2 to 0 in their only League contest to date. In the next three weeks they will meet Princeton, Brown, and Yale, in that order.