Supreme Court Hears Attorneys Debate Steel Strike Injunction; Russia to Review A-Test Stand

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Nov. 3--The Supreme Court listened today as government and steel union lawyers debated the legality of a back-to-work order. The Court was not expected to delay its decision long with the steel mill shutdown 112 days old.

Fighting the back-to-work order issued by a lower court, union counsel Arthur J. Goldberg said that in enacting the Taft-Hartley law Congress "passed the buck to the Supreme Court to break strikes."

Replying for the government, Solicitor General J. Lee Rankin said that in passing the law, with its strike-ending emergency machinery, Congress sought to protect the interest of all the nation.

Goldberg contended there is no national emergency to warrant such drastic action, that there is no threat to national health and safety within the meaning of the law, that the injunction section of the Taft-Hartley law is unconstitutional.

Soviets Alter Nuclear Policy

GENEVA, Nov. 3--The Soviets have unexpectedly agreed to a Western demand for re-examination of methods to police underground nuclear explosions.

This was a complete turnabout from the previous Soviet position in negotiations for a nuclear test ban being carried on here by the United States, Britain and the Soviet Union.

Since early this year the Western powers had tried to persuade the Soviet Union that much scientific data the talks are based on is outdated.

Panamanians Riot

PANAMA, Nov. 3--American Army riflemen with bayonets bristling took command at the Panama Canal Zone border today after anti-U.S. Panamanians tore up an American Embassy flag, and fought for hours with U.S. canal police.

It was a celebration of Panama's independence day that got destructively out of hand in a frenzy of anti-U.S. manifestations similar in tone to the current vocal outbursts in Cuba.

Elections Reported

The election of a governor in Kentucky and Harold E. Stassen's bid for mayor of Philadelphia drew the main national interest in Tuesday's scattered elections.

Mississippi also elected a governor but segregationist lawyer Ross Barnett was unopposed. He won the run-off Democratic primary in August.