Huge Crowd Honors Eisenhower; President to Leave India Today

By The ASSOCIATED Press

NEW DELHI, India, Dec. 13--President Eisenhower leaves India tomorrow carrying away, in the words of Prime Minister Nehru, "a piece of our heart." Tonight, more than a million Indians massed to pay homage to Eisenhower and to hear him declare peace never will be realized until all mankind is free.

Acres of solidly packed humanity, stretching as far as the eye could see, paid the final mass tribute to the President. Nehru said it was the greatest civic reception he ever has seen at the sprawling Ram Lila Park between Old and New Delhi. It was the largest crowd Eisenhower ever has faced.

Charges Fail to Surprise Senate Committee

WASHINGTON, Dec. 13--France's failure to share fully in NATO defenses may touch off congressional demands for return of some U.S. troops from abroad, Sen. Mike Mansfield (D-Mont.) said today.

Mansfield said the contention of Gen. Nathan F. Twining, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, that France is weakening the North Atlantic Alliance dangerously by not meeting its commitments comes as no surprise to members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

AP News in Brief

SEOUL--Government officials say South Korea is expected to ask the Development Loan Fund for $3,900,000 to help build Seoul's first subway. The Transportation Ministry says total cost of the proposed subway would be 25 million dollars.

BELGRADE, Yugoslavia--Yugoslavia's Communist government has announced it will increase salaries and wages of its officials by 10 per cent starting next year.

The boost is intended to compensate in part for increased rents. They are going up 250 per cent in January.

MOSCOW--The Soviet Union and Italy have proposed a cultural agreement that would bring the La Scala Opera Company to Moscow.

ALGIERS--Ten French soldiers were killed Saturday night when Algerian Nationalist rebels ambushed a convoy escorting workmen near Port Tigzirt, east of Algiers. Three native workmen and one European also were killed in the ambush. Army sources said the convoy was moving through a difficult mountain terrain largely controlled by the Nationalists.

LONDON--Premier Nikita Khrushchev returned to Moscow today from a visit to Hungary, a tour of the Ukraine and a week-long visit in Kiev, Moscow radio said Sunday.