Squash Team Ranks as Favorite Over Mediocre Amherst Varsity

Everything except overconfidence will be on the Crimson squash team's side today, when it meets a weak Amherst squad in an away contest. Since its 8-1 victory over Navy, Harvard ranks as one of the Eastern Intercollegiate League's most dangerous title contenders. Having lost to Navy by an identical score, Amherst is a definite underdog in today's contest.

"I'm afraid of a letdown," coach Jack Barnaby commented last night. Remembering the football team's disastrous performance against Brown after upsetting Princeton, he observed that squash and tennis are Amherst's strongest sports.

Harvard will play the usual ladder of Gerry Emmet, Time Gallwey, Romer Holleran, Fred Vinton, Tony Lake, Jorge Lemann, Pete Smith, Alden Briggs, and Doug Poule.

Play in Boston League

The top five have been keeping in inshape between regular games by playing in the "A" division of the Boston Metropolitan Squash League. It has been over five years since the Crimson was able to finish on top in the Metropolitan competition, but this year it has already swept the first of two winter tournaments. If the Harvard players do not win the second, they will play the victors in a tie-breaker next March to determine the League champion.