Birth Among Nations

Brass Tacks

By Claude E. Welch jr.

Ever since Adam, or rather ever since Eve joined him, mankind has faced the problem of overpopulation. But until less than a month ago, few people payed close attention to the danger of too many human beings.

On November 25, the American bishops of the Catholic Church charged that a "systematic and concerted" propaganda effort favoring birth control had started. Since that time, the population problem has become a heated political issue. Two possible Presidential candidates, senator John F. Kennedy and Edmund "Pat" Brown, belong to the Catholic Church, which opposes and types of coercive birth control; other candidates have expressed views favoring population limitation.

The bishops evidently referred to two reports issued by the government in July. The Draper Report--prepared by the President's Committee to Study United States Military Assistance Programs--said the American government should assist other countries, upon request, in establishing population control programs. The second report, issued by the Department of State, emphasized the political repercussions of over-population: "Raid populations growth may prove to be one of the greatest obstacles to economic and social progress and the maintenance of political stability in many of the less developed areas of the world."

Behind this screen of mixed religious and political debate, many of the essential economic aspects of the over-population question have been obscured. The countries in which population is increasing most rapidly are often those with the world's lowest standard of living. The improvements of modern medicine have cut the death rate greatly; people live longer, far fewer infants perish, and population growth seems to follow a Malthusian pattern of geometrical progression.

In countries such as India, Indonesia, and China, the increase in population has, in many case, lowered the standard of living more rapidly than technological improvements have raised it. To maintain the same standard of living with a three per cent annual population growth--a figure exceeded by many of these countries--twelve per cent of the national income should be invested. These countries, however, cannot afford both to raise living standards and feed millions of new citizens. At some point, the vicious circle of low investment, low living standards, and high birth rates must be broken.

Japan has broken this spiral with a vigorous eight year program of birth control. Although it has the greatest population density in Asia, Japan enjoys the highest standard of living and s stable population. Similar programs in India, Communist China, and Pakistan have failed, however, due both to political pressure and lack of public interest. Unless some vigorous program is effected, the fears of the State Department maybe realized; a large, underfed populace provides suitable material for revolution.

The Federal government thus has a definite interest in birth control, despite the President's statement, "That's none of our business." The Planned Parenthood Federation points out that the government itself has provided money to seven Southern states for programs of birth control. In the interests of world stability, the government should extend this assistance to other nations.

Any extension of birth control runs the risk of dividing public opinion. The Draper report, however, provides a method by which the United Stats can work towards birth control without arousing domestic opposition. Assistance for population limitation programs, requested by other nations, could be provided by this country or by a suitable international agency. So long as men remain men, population will pose a problem-but one that can be controlled.