'Cliffies Disagree Over Proposal to Choose Candidate for Best-Dressed Girl Competition

Radcliffe students last night sharply disagreed over the proposal to enter a 'Cliffie in Glamour magazine's annual contest for the ten best-dressed college girls in America. The Student Government Association recently received an invitation to participate in the 1960 competition.

Residents of Barnard, Cabot, Holmes, Moors, and Whitman generally supported the idea of selecting a best-dressed 'Cliffie to enter the Glamour contest. Last year, Barnard and Moors refused to choose candidates, describing the competition as "immoral and un-Radcliffe."

Recalling that Radcliffe's entry, Priscilla Bowden '61, became a national winner in 1959, girls from Barnard and Moors this year expressed "overwhelmingly favorable" opinions. "The competition is a challenge to our artistic taste in clothes," commented one girl from Barnard.

"We don't have to prove we have brains by looking like slobs," remarked a Cabot Hall resident, approving the contest. "After all, we're part of the Ivy League, and should dress accordingly," she added.

Girls from Briggs and Eliot, however, condemned the contest as "absolutely ridiculous." According to one 'Cliffie, "Last year Briggs entered a candidate out of contemptuous amusement."