Track Team to Attempt Yale Upset In New Haven Triangulars Today

The varsity track team will meet Yale head-on for the first time this season today at New Haven. Princeton's perennially disappointing squad will be an interested spectator, but is not expected to figure in the triangular meet.

Joel Landau will double in the hurdles and sprint races, and winning performances from him in both events could turn the meet in the Crimson's favor. Landau is a strong favorite in the hurdles, but in the dash he must face Yale's Steve Snyder, who ran 60 yards in an incredible 6.2 sec. last week.

In the 600, Eli sophomore Jim Stack has already covered the distance in 1:10.2, the fastest time anywhere this season and the fourth best indoor mark in history. The best Crimson captain Al Gordon can hope for is a second-place finish ahead of Yale's John Slowlk, another outstanding runner.

This same situation exists in the 1000, where Art can will probably have to face the same two men. John Morrison and Bill Bachrach of Yale should dominate the two-mile, even against Jed Fitzgerald, and the Yale relay teams demonstrated their mastery over the varsity earlier this season.

Injured Return

Fitzgerald will race Jim Wade and Tom Cathcart of Yale in the mile, which promises to be the closest event of the afternoon. If the Crimson's Dyke Benjamin and Ed Martin, both injured, can return to their previous form in the mile and two-mile, the complexion of the meet might change altogether.

In the field events, Bulldog Stan McDonald is favored in the broad jump, and teammates Bill Stack and Fritz Cooper should defeated injured Jim Doty in the 35-1b. Weight throw. Bill Marble is a close pick over the varsity's Henry Abbot in the shot, although another record-sized heave by Abbot could alter things.

Kel Kean of the Crimson should take the high jump, and the pole vault is a standoff between Tom Blodgett and Yale's Jim Anthony. Princeton may provide some opposition in the jumps and pole vault.

The Crimson will be stretched to its limits to match Yale's team strength, with nearly all its key men forced to do double duty