Bundy Feels Dulles May Continue; Cheever Prefers New Appointment

Both Uneasy Over Policy Changes

"Unless Mr. Dulles' health declines rapidly in the near future, I think he will continue to make basic diplomatic policy," Dean Bundy told the Harvard Young Republican Club yesterday afternoon.

Bundy also suggested the possibility that Christian A. Herter '15, Acting Secretary of State, and C. Douglas Dillon, Undersecretary of State for Economic Affairs, might take over many of the administrative tasks while Dulles remains in the hospital. The Dean opposed suggestions that a new Secretary of State be appointed, saying, "A complete change in leadership would lead to a less effective organization in the present crisis."

Daniel S. Cheever, lecturer on Government, voiced the opinion that "there can only be one Secretary of State. Any ambiguity in policy could be very chaotic," he said. He added that if Dulles is well enough, he might continue on in an advisory capacity to the President. In this case either Dillon or Herter might take over Dulles' job. This would ressen the problems involved in the change of leadership, he thought, since "both Herter and Dillon are very intimate with the workings of the State Department."

If Secretary Dulles is not able to resume an active role in foreign affairs, however, Cheever indicated that it might be necessary to sacrifice his familiarity with the strategy of the State Department and appoint a "more striking public figure to the Secretary's post for reasons of public confidence." He suggested such names as Gen. Alfred Gruenther, Henry Cabot Lodge '24, John J. McCloy, former High Commissioner to Germany, and David K. E. Bruce, Ambassador to Germany.