Powerful Tigers Heavily Favored Tonight at I.A.B.

By Walter L. Goldfrank

Needing at least one win this weekend to remain in serious contention for third place in the Ivy League, the varsity quintet will meet Princeton tonight and Penn tomorrow night at the I.A.B. Both games are scheduled to begin at 8:30 p.m., with no preliminary contests on tap.

The prospects for a double win are dim, for the Tigers bring with them an "Iron Five" quintet which plays almost every minute of every game with great success. Thus far, Princeton has beaten by at least nine points every Ivy opponent it has faced, although its nine wins do not include one over Dartmouth, also 9 and 0 in League play.

Strangely, Dartmouth could well be the deciding factor in tonight's game, for if the Tigers, who must play the Indians in Hanover tomorrow night, are looking ahead, they might find themselves upset by the varsity. And with all the attention that has been focused this week on the big game tomorrow, the chances of this occurring are not slim.

It was only a year ago that Penn breezed into Cambridge, expecting an easy win over the Crimson as a warm-up for the next night's all-important Dartmouth contest, only to be stunned, 74 to 69. It could happen to Princeton.

Defeating the Tigers, however, will be no mean feat. The visitors boast the League's leading scorer and the third high man, as well as two of the top four rebounders. Carl Belz, 6 ft., 5 in., is the key man in Princeton's vaunted attack, as he is averaging 20.2 points and 14 rebounds a game.

Along with Belz, coach Cappy Cappon will go with Jim Brangan--the only junior on the starting five--an 18-point a game scorer; and Artie Klein, a scrappy 5 ft., 9 in. letterman, at the guard. At forward he will use Carl's brother, Herman Belz, who, at 6 ft. 3 in, is not so quick as his brother but possesses a deadly jump shot; and Joe Burns, another 6 ft., 5 in. rebounding specialist.

Strong on Defense

Princeton is ranked high in the nation defensively as well, and it will take a sharpshooting varsity to stand a chance. Coach Floyd Wilson said yesterday that to down the visitors the Crimson will have to have a good night from the floor while stopping the Princeton offense before the Tigers get off many good shots.

A beautifully balanced squad, Princeton has the potential to put the varsity to rout. Yet with the psychological disadvantages of playing on an unfamiliar court and thinking about the Dartmouth game, the Tigers seem ripe for an upset, and there is no better occasion than tonight.

Mlkvy Back in Form

As for Saturday night's contest, its outcome would seem to depend upon the health of sophomore sensation Bob Mlkvy, the younger brother of the famed "Owl without a vowel," Bill. Mlkvy broke his left leg in a November practice, and is just beginning to return to form.

Mlkvy's leg is important, because Penn's leading scorer, Al Schwait, broke his arm Saturday against Columbia. Without him, the Quakers' attack has been seriously hampered.

Relying heavily on a fast break offense and a man-to-man defense, Penn has a small but fast squad, and is currently tied for third place, just one game above the varsity. Penn's chief threat is George Schmidt, a good driver, and he will probably be joined by Joe Bowman, Jack Follman, Paul Rubincam, and Hugh Aberman