Swimmers Triumph, 61-25, Over Weak Princeton Team

Crimson swimmers showed amazing strength and depth Saturday, scoring a 61-25 victory over Princeton. They accomplished this feat without the services of Captain John Hammond, sidelined by a sinus infection.

Taking Hammond's place in the 400 yd. medley relay, Bruce Hunter teamed up with Bill Murray, Doug McCartney, and Dick Seaton to turn in a time of 4:02.1. McCartney's time of 1:06 was his fastest time of the season for 100 yds.

As expected, Princeton swept the 220 yd. free-style, the 440 yd. free-style, the 200 yd. back stroke, and the diving competition. George Brakely took the 220 in 2:15.7, and the 440 in 4:57.0, while Art Smith won the 200 back stroke in 2:18.9 and the 440 in 4:57.0. Al Routh in an excellent performance gave Princeton its final first place with 81.53 points in the dive.

In a needed display of depth, untouted junior Bill Rose and sophomore Dave Ottaway swept first and second place in the 50 yd. free-style. Bill Schellsteade, a frog-kicker, scored another surprising first in the 200 yd. butterfly in 2:32.2 against dolphin-kicking Nitton Jervey. Hunter, after swimming in the relay, went on to take the 100 yd. free-style in 51.2.

McCartney took first place in the 200 yd. breast stroke, followed by Jim Stanley. The latter had just taken a second in the butterfly, subbing for Hammond. Finally, the team of Dave Seaton, John Trainer, Fred Cooley, and Koni Ulbrich won the 400 yd. relay.

Coach Bill Brooks said he was particularly "pleased" with the 50 yd. free-style and with the clutch performances of Hunter and Stanley, who switched events.