Wrestlers Win, 28-5, Over Amherst Team

The varsity wrestling team defeated a determined Amherst team, 28 to 5, yesterday in an away meet. After the Lord Jeffs forfeited in both the 123-lb. and 130-lb. divisions, the Crimson registered two pins, two decisions, and a tie on its way to vctory.

In the 137-lb. match, John Watkins pinned Art Landy of Amherst, using a body press with a reverse half-nelson, at 5:18. Watkins had to escape a dangerous situation before winning, as Landy almost pinned him with a leg and chancery hold. Crimson heavyweight Bob Wynne scored the other pin for the varsity, finishing off Ken Wood with a cradle hold.

Bob Foster maintained his four-year winning streak whipping Sid Bixler 12 to 4 at 177 lbs., but missing at least three opportunities to pin his opponent. Wrestling at 157 lbs., captain Joe Noble pulled out a close 5-2 decision against Amhert's Wade Williams.

A disputed last-period penalty for grabbing clothing, allowed Jerry Morgan of the Jeffs to salvage a tie against King Holmes in the 167-lb. division. The only Crimson defeat of the afternoon came at 147 lbs., when former Pennsylvania high school champ Bob Thompson outclassed the varsity's Nick Estabrook by a decisive 15-6 margin. Estabrook was in trouble twice, each time narrowly averting a pin.

For a supposedly weak team, Amherst put a surprisingly good fight. Without the two forfeits and the loss of their captain, the Lord Jeffs might have turned the match into a real battle.