Grad Students Object To Ban on Cooking In Dormitory Rooms

More than 50 graduate students gathered in the Conant Hall Common Room last night to protest a new regulation against cooking in student rooms. Sloppy garbage disposal and unpleasant odors were cited as necessitating the change.

According to a notice signed by Mary Tillman, Secretary of Dormitory Housing, any student "apprehended" preparing meals in his room "will be evicted but held responsible for rent until the end of the academic year."

Several students said that they cannot afford to eat out. They suggested that food in Harkness Commons is deteriorating and that this order is designed to increase lagging patronage there. One declared that "It is not the tradition of the University to govern by ultimatum." Others objected that they have already invested heavily in refrigerators and cooking equipment.

Ellsworth J. Holden, Jr. 4G, who presided at the protest meeting, said he will discuss the order with Mary Tillman tomorrow. A petition will be presented to whomever she says is responsible for the order.

Meanwhile, many affected students expressed their intention to continue cooking in their rooms, but with a greater regard for the problems of sanitation and apprehension.