Varsity Swimmers Will Compete In Eastern Championships Today

By Thomas M. Pepper

The Crimson will field an almost complete team for the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League individual championships, beginning today at New Haven. There is no team contest, since that was determined during regular season dual-meet competition, but the Yale swimmers figure to capture a considerable number of first-place medals. Every Ivy League college except Brown, plus Army and Navy, will enter competitors.

Sophomore Bruce Hunter has the best chance to win any individual championship, according to coach Bill Brooks. Hunter will compete in the 50 and 100-yard freestyles, and possibly on, one of the relay teams.

Another top contender is senior Jim Stanley, who will swim the 100 and 200-yard breast stroke races. Stanley's toughest competition will come from his archrival from Yale, Joe Koletsky. Last year in the Easterns, Stanley and Koletsky had a dog-fight for both the 100 and 200-yard honors.

Ulbrich Shines in Practice

In practices this week, the Crimson's Koni Ulbrich clocked a 22.3 for the 50-yard freestyle. Should this top-flight form continue into the weekend, he too could become a challenger to Yale's Roger Anderson. Both Ulbrich and Hunter give the varsity strength at these distances.

For the Easterns, several events not included in normal season competition become a part of the meet. Among these are the 100-yard butterfly, breast stroke, and backstroke, the 1500-meter freestyle, and the 200-yard individual medley.

In the latter, the varsity will swim Tom Bartlett, Bill Schellstede, and Bill Murray, with hopes that Schellstede can slip into the finals. Bob Komenda, a 440-yard competitor all season, will enter the gruelling 20 minute, 1500-meter freestyle.

In the dive, rising Crimson sophomore Eric Johnson, whose excellent show in the Yale meet provided the only varsity first place, will go against a host of equal calibre divers from the eight other schools. Johnson, the varsity's second diver at the season's outset, has steadily improved to a peak in practice this week.

Significantly missing from the lineup will be varsity captain John Hammond. He was far too ill to enter the Yale meet, and is still out with sinus trouble. Also lacking are the sensational Crimson freshman stars, but such good fortune will have to wait until next year.