Annex Raises Room, Board For 1959-60

Officials Cite Growth In 'Operating Costs'

By Pauline A. Rubbelke

Radcliffe will raise its room and board charges roughly five per cent starting next fall, Stewart Stearns, Business Manager, announced yesterday.

In a letter sent to the parents of Radcliffe students and applicants for admission, Stearns said the action was necessary "to meet increasing costs of dormitory operations." Among principal articles which have raised in price during the past years, Stearns mentioned wages, food, and maintenance.

The College was able to predict a deficit in operating costs for the academic year 1958-59 last spring, according to Wilbur K. Jordan, Radcliffe President. However, due to the $250 rise in tuition for Radcliffe students, which took effect this year, the College delayed the boost in room and board charges.

Jordan explained that unlike other colleges, Radcliffe does not attempt to make a profit from room and board payments. The College's over-all policy is to "break even in the long run," which necessitates adjustments in room and board charges. ROOM AND BOARD SCHEDULE   Present  Fall 1959 Single rooms available in all halls  $1,080  $1,130 Planned double rooms (available in Bertram, Comstock, Holmes and Moors Halls)  1,000  1,045 Economy double rooms (available in all Halls)  890  930 Cooperative houses (board not included)  340  360