Professors Express Varied Views On Current State of Berlin Crisis

By Robert E. Smith

Four professors last night expressed opinions on Berlin ranging from "no panic" to "the Russians will keep up the pressure."

Henry A. Kissinger '50, associate director of the Center for International Affairs, said that he expected continued trouble from the Soviets in the Berlin crisis. He added that he was "displeased and unhappy" over President Eisenhower's actions thus far concerning the German city.

"The Russians are pulling the wool over everybody's eyes," stated Zbigniew K. Brzezinski, assistant professor of Government and research associate in the Russian Research Center. He called the Soviets' use of troops "a facade to hide their real motive of trying to stop the exit of refugees from East Germany." Brzezinski claimed, "The Russians have no intent of war," but instead are forcing recognition of their satellites.

Brzezinski said that Russian leaders were afraid to admit the real reasons for their threats in Berlin. He expected that the Soviet troops would move out eventually and said that the United States need not be pessimistic about the situation.

Although not agreeing with the President's handling of the Berlin trouble, Herbert J. Spiro '50, assistant professor of Government, said "I wouldn't panic over the Krushchev ultimatum, if you can call it that." He asserted that the Soviet Premier's suggestion to let the United Nations play a role in the East-West conflict was worth consideration by the United States. According to Spiro, British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan's trip to Moscow helped relations.

Spiro added that further negotiations among nations should be held to consider more than the Berlin crisis alone.

Adam B. Ulam, associate professor of Government, did not comment on the pros and cons of the Berlin crisis, but mentioned that he expected some sort of negotiations or conference in the near future on the problem.