Snow Blankets Northeast

Just nine days before the beginning of spring, the worst snowstorm of the winter blanketed New England and extended as far as Virginia and the Mid-west. In Cambridge, the storm stopped even the proverbial mailman.

Snowmen of all sexes appeared around the College. Members of the Cooperative house at 3 Sacramento St. fashioned a 12-foot statue of a nude kneeling woman which drew a neighbor's complaint. University police approved the statue, and a member of the Cambridge squad termed it "a work of art," adding "it would be a shame to tear it down." The storm also stopped construction work on Quincy House and the new Leverett Towers, and shut down the Radcliffe administration office. Though the University held classes as usual, many 'Cliffies, fearing the long walk, stayed in bed. The Coop closed at 4 p.m. to allow employees time to get home.

In Boston, the State House, City Hall and the Federal Building and nine-tenths of the stores shut down. Robert P. Shea, Boston Commissioner of Public Works, banned all cars without chains from entering the city.