Hockey Team Victorious Over Yale, 2-1

By John R. Adler

Dominating play throughout the entire game, the varsity hockey team recaptured second place in the Ivy League by edging Yale at the Arena Saturday, 2-1. The Crimson would have run the score higher but for some classy goal-tending by Gerry Jones.

Jones made up for a porous Eli defense by turning away 44 shots during the evening, including 21 in the second period, when the Crimson put together some of its finest hockey of the season. Bob Anderson and Dick Reilly were the only ones to score duing the barrage, but the two goals were enough to overcome Yale's 1-0 first period margin.

The Elis were generally more subject to poke-checks than the Crimson, as they skated and stick-handled less forcefully. Three of four times, though, they were presented with breakaways when the defense failed on checks too far up the ice.

The Elis opened the game with surprisingly conservative hockey, refraining from serious forechecking and playing a close defensive game. Even so, the varsity's pitifully poor passing and positioning on the clears kept it from scoring.

Yale's first and only goal came on just such an occassion. Bob Anderson was trapped in the offensive zone as he attempted to kick the puck at his left point position. Second line left wing Bob Karle stole the disk and drew varsity defender Greg Downes to the right alley before feeding Gene Scott in front of the cage. Scott faked Harry Pratt left and hit the right corner at 4:12.

Neither team was able to get a decent shot during penalties to Downes for holding at 6:18 and to Ed McGonagle for tripping at 10:28. Sloppy play at center ice resulted in only four saves for Pratt and nine for Jones during the period.

Coach Cooney Weiland must have spoken some cogent words in the dressing room before the second period, for the Crimson put on an awesome display of offensive power following the intermission.

After a great split save by Jones at the three minute mark, the varsity forced play in the Yale zone until the puck was tied up at 4:27 for a faceoff in the circle to Jones' right. Reilly swung as the referee dropped the puck. His shot caught the goalie flat-footed in the near corner, bouncing into the left-hand side to tie the game at 1 to 1.

Continuing its assault, the Crimson pressed in after a tripping penalty to Pete Ward at 7:28. After several shots were turned away by Jones, Downes drew two defenders toward him at the right point, then fed to Anderson across ice. Anderson found Bill Collins screening Jones at the left corner. His hard slap was perfectly placed and the red light flashed at 8:20.

Pratt Checks Eli Rush

In the third period the varsity wasn't in trouble until an elbow-check penalty to Anderson at 14:24. A Yale slap shot from 15 feet went through a tangle of players in front of the goal but luckily found Pratt's stick instead of an opening. With only four seconds remaining in the same penalty, defenseman Mike Graney broke alone out of his own zone, but his shot was stopped by Jones.

Trailing by a goal with only fifty seconds remaining, Yale Coach Murray Murdock pulled Jones in favor of a sixth skater. Stout defensive work held off the Elis for half a minute until the puck was cleared and stolen at center ice by Bud Higginbottom who fed to Dick Fischer. With only defenseman Bruce Smith standing in the goal Fischer fired chest high from about 18 feet, but Smith was able to deflect the disk over the cage to prevent further damage