Returning Seniors Head Good Varsity Golf Team

Four Expected to Shoot Under 76

Three experienced seniors, refreshed by a pre-season warm-up at the University of Miami in Florida, should spark the varsitiy golf team to an outstanding season this year, Captain Frank Dodge predicts. These three and Sophomore Fisk Warren are all slated for scores of 76 or under, and this season also sees the squad enjoying a much-needed depth.

This strength consists in at least five players who look for scores better than 80. It should help the golfers to fare even better than they usually do in the easier early-season matches, when the limited talent of their opponents makes the opposition especially vulnerable.

In addition, it should even up considerably the later contests in May with Yale, Princeton, and Dartmouth, important matches which in the past have always been trouble spots. The fact that the Crimson meets both Yale and Dartmouth on its own course this year should also be of help in the Ivy competition.

Nine meets and the Eastern Intercollegiate Tournament are scheduled for the golf squad this season. Yale has always been the most formidable opponent. Two years ago the Crimson beat Yale after 26 straight defeats, but they lost again last year 7 to 0. Dodge predicts a second win over the Bulldogs when Harvard faces them on Tuesday, May 5.

He is also "very optimistic" about the team's chances in the Easterns to be played at Princeton on Saturday, May 9.

Twenty men are out for the Varsity team and 15 for the Yardling squad. The coaches will trim these numbers to ten each by Saturday, April 18. Frank Dodge, Bob Grundeman, Jim Noble, and Fisk Warren are the strongest Varsity players, while Bob David, Allan Lipsky, Alan Locker, Dick Riley, and Bill Rose provide excellent support.

For the first time the team will use the Brookline Country Club as its home ground. Captain Dodge describes this course, which hosted the National Amateur Open two years ago, as "difficult and challenging."

The University has completely withdrawn its golf subsidy, but the golfers are receiving financial help from the Memorial Fund for Ted Cooney '55, and Gerald Henderson '21, which is sponsored by the Friends of Harvard Golf. The groups' aim is to try to have enough financial backing "to expose everyone at Harvard, not just the men on the team, to golf."