Crimson to Pit Wadsworth Against Brandeis Today

The Crimson baseball team will try to pick up its first E.I.B.L. win this afternoon as it takes on the Brandeis nine at Waltham. Jack Kirby, a G.B.L. All Star last year will start on the mound for the Judges, while Crimson coach Norm Shepard goes with fast-baller Ed Wadsworth.

Kirby, eminently successful so far this year, has a good curve and change-up to go with what coach Foxie Flumiere refers to as his "smoke ball." In a winning effort against B.U. last week Kirby gave up only two runs, while striking out ten and walking none. Flumiere feels that if the big righthander is on the beam tomorrow, the Crimson will need some pretty fine pitching to win.

Brandeis' record this spring is one and one. A ten-inning tie game with Coast Guard was called on account of rain, while the Judges were outscored by B.C., 10 to 6. The team features an airtight infield and several fast outfielders. When Kirby is on the mound, the Judges present one of the best defensive nines in the league.

In the hitting department, Flumiere thinks they are only fair, and this may help the Crimson a lot. Captain and center fielders Dave Bouchard, a G.B.I. All Star, third baseman Dave Walker, and Dan McGillicudy at first are all better than average sluggers. Beyond them there is little to rave about.

In a game where the man on the mound will be the significant figure, Ed Wadsworth may well turn out to be the Crimson's answer to Kirby. Though last year he had almost hopelessly poor control, Wadsworth now seems to have overcome this difficulty. Still far from making every pitch a strike, he has, nonetheless, done excellent work in three outings this spring.

At Quantico, Wadsworth hurled six innings and gave up one hit, and although he walked five, only one man reached second. Since vacation, Wadsworth has worked in two intra-squad games and has given every indication that he has mastered his control problems.

If this is the case, his hopping fast ball, mixed with an occasional curve, should be enough to make him one of the team's top pitchers.

In the field, Shepard still has problems to work out. With Jay Sullivan gone, Chet Boulris was stationed at third base for the Tufts and Navy games, and though his bat work was good (five hits, including a home run), his fielding was ragged. Accordingly, Moe Balboni wil be at third today. Boulris moves to left field. Charlie Leamy will be in center, and Charlie Ravenel in right.

If Wadsworth weakens, there is a good chance that Al Martin will move over from first base to relieve.