M.I.T. Defeats Lacrosse Squad In Game Marred by Sloppy Play

By Paul S. Cowan

During the first three periods of yesterday's game with M.I.T., Chris Stone's goal tending was all that stood between the varsity lacrosse team and a crushing defeat. But in the fourth period, Stone tired and the Engineers netted two goals to win, 6 to 4, on their home field.

Both teams played one of their sloppiest games of the season. The Crimson defense, for instance, failed on 13 of its 24 attempted clears. And when Tech attacks were handed free shots at the goal, they usually couldn't stick-handle well enough to score.

The Engineers dominated play through the first half of the first period. The ball almost constantly remained near the Crimson goal--and twice it was a combination of blind luck and Stone's agility which prevented them from scoring. Once, a Tech attackman lined a hard shot to the left of the goal which Stone managed to deflect, and a few minutes later no one could kick in a ball which rolled around the Crimson cage for nearly a minute.

Late in the period, Crimson attackman Dave Bohn thrust in his first score of the afternoon on a long pass from Charlie Devens. But Tech's All-American midfielder Fitzgerald managed to knot the score with a shot from the left which Stone just missed.

Play in the second period followed the same pattern. Crimson attacks managed to turn their few scoring opportunities into goals, but most of the time they could only stand and watch the defense in action at the other end of the field.

Tech Takes Lead

Bohn scored three more goals, once rolling the ball in when the goalie had strayed far from the cage. But Tech managed to shake its lethargy long enough to make the score 4 to 3 at the half.

The second halt was almost totally one-sided. While the Engineers were buoyed by the knowledge that they, at least, could move the ball, the Crimson often seemed to be going through the motions, waiting for a bad afternoon to end.

The varsity will face its second Ivy League test when it meets Penn here Saturday.