Rescue Operation

Repertory Boston, Inc. has decided to make a fight for its life. It needs $50,000--about one-fifth the cost of a single, big bad musical--to finish the remaining eight weeks of its season, and it must raise "a good chunk" this week in order to stay in existence. Like the Metropolitan Opera, the New York City Center, and the New York Shakespeare Festival. It is forced to appeal for funds. Foundations and rich old ladies are being vigorously canvassed, but a huge amount of money will have to came from private (tax deductible) gifts.

It is not too late to prove that the Boston area (of which Harvard is a part) has sufficient cultural maturity to support an organization devoted to good theatre on a full-scale basis. An eight-week lease on life may be time enough to enable the Repertory to gain enough patronage to make it possible to open next fall. The remaining two productions, announced in its schedule are both American premieres of comedies by well-known European dramatists. If R.B.I. stays in business both will open on schedule; with luck, they will stir up enough interest to set the company on its feet.

A few devoted enthusiasts are often more valuable than an army of apathetic admirers, but Repertory Boston must broaden its base of public support. This base can be broadened by sending checks, bills, coins, subway tokens, green stamps, boxtops--anything negotiable--to R.B.I. Money may also be placed in its coffers by attending its performances. Now.