Tennis Team Defeats Amherst, 8-1; Weld Drops Match to Enemy Ace

By Peter J. Rothenberg

Revenge is sweet, or so the adage goes, and the varsity tennis team got plenty of it yesterday. Coach Jack Barnaby's squad made up for last year's 5-4 loss to Amherst by shellacking the Lord Jeffs, 8 to 1, on the Soldiers Field courts.

The Crimson's only loss of the afternoon came at first singles, where Amherst's highly regarded Tom Richardson outlasted varsity captain Ned Weld, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4, in a tough match. Richardson, who had his game under perfect control, constantly hit the corners with beautiful passing shots, and Weld wasn't fast enough to get to them. After a fine start in which he took the first three games, the Crimson captain was a bit off his best game; on several occasions he netted smashes which he might have put away for easy points.

The varsity swept the remaining matches without the loss of a set. Bob Bowditch, looking very good at second singles, beat Don Hicks, 6-1, 6-2, and then paired with Weld to take the first doubles from Richardson and Hicks, 8-6, 6-2. Tim Gallwey, at number three, took Chris Grose, 6-2, 6-0, and fourth man Fred Vinton beat Marty Lowy, 6-2, 6-2. Jorge Lemann and Bill Wood rounded out the singles victories with easy wins over Mark Selden and Andy Ingersoll.

Since Vinton and Lemann will not be making the week-end trip to Navy and Pennsylvania, Freshman coach Corey Wynn (filling in for the ailing Barnaby) experimented with Gallwey and Wood as a second doubles team. They did very well, defeating Grose and Dave Inglis, 6-4, 6-1. At third doubles, Langden Smith and Scott Custer beat Lowy and Lee Talner, 7-5, 7-5.

With Joram Piatigorsky and Mark Woodbury leading the way, the undefeated Freshman team picked up its second straight shut-out win, blanking the Amherst freshmen, 9 to 0.