Munoz Plans Godkin Talks on Nationalism, International Tension

The Honorable Luis Munoz Marin, Governor of Puerto Rico, will give the first of three Godkin lectures on "Nationalism and Its Effect on World Tensions" tomorrow at 8 p.m. in Sanders Theatre.

The 61-year-old governor is widely credited for bringing "commonwealth" status to the Caribbean island taken by the United States in the Spanish-American War. In 1950, by maintaining a middle course between the Republicanos who wanted statehood, and the Independistas who wanted complete separation from the United States, Munoz was instrumental in the creation of an elective governorship, which gave the islanders both the political protection of the United States and continued freedom from federal taxes.

Munoz spent his youth in the United States, first trailing his father about Washington in Puerto Rican diplomatic circles, and later as a poet-critic on his own in New York.

Godkin Lecturers of recent years have included ex-President of the University James Bryant Conant, British Labor Party leader Hugh Gaitskell, and former ambassador to India Chester Bowles.