Penn Overcomes Lacrosse Team

By Paul S. Cowan

In a game marked by unusual refereeing, the Varsity lacrosse team lost its second Ivy League game of the season to Penn here Saturday. After the officials had finally decided that one of the goals they gave to the Crimson did not count, the final score was 6 to 3.

With the Varsity down 4 to 2 late in the third period, midfielder Charlie Devens took a pass from Dick Parks and thrust in a clean line shot for the goal. After the referee had recorded the tally with the official scorer, the Penn goalie rushed forward and claimed that no whistle had been blown to bring the ball into play before the shot.

A short summit conference followed, and both referees emerged agreeing that the goal should not count. This brought Crimson coach Bruce Munro to his feet claiming that the referee had nodded his head to begin play. He informed any official who would listen that "the goal was reported, you must let it go through. I'm sorry, gentleman, but you are wrong."

During the first period the Quakers dominated play, jumping away to a 3-0 lead. The Varsity came back in the second quarter to hold Penn scoreless while Dave Bohn and Jerry Pyle both tallied.

The third period was fairly even until Penn attackman Glading thrust in a line shot with the Crimson one man down. After Lamont's goal, Penn scored twice, leaving the Crimson no possible grounds for official dispute.