1959 Charities Drive Will Intensify Efforts; May Try for $16,000

Next year's Combined Charities Chairmen yesterday set their provisional goal at $16,000, $4,000 more than the 1958 goal and $2,300 above the 1958 collection.

Recently elected by the Student Council, the new chairmen are two Freshmen, Howard J. Phillips of Dudley House and Boston, and Richard Crystal of Greenough Hall and Long Island, N.Y. Both are members of the Freshman Council, while Phillips also sits on the Student Council.

According to the new Chairmen, the goal will be reached by more intensive campaigning, especially in Dudley House, which furnished only $174.50 in the past Drive. Emphasis will be on raising the number of contributors, rather than the average contribution, which was almost $5 in 1958.

A kickoff dinner for Drive workers is among the other "hard sell" measures which Phillips and Crystal plan. For Dudley, they will prepare a telephone campaign, and increase the number of solicitors. Large gifts, such as the $1,000 one given by a student in Eliot House during the past Drive, will also be solicited next year. The Drive has been adopting a progressively higher goal each year.