Council Debates General Studies; Postpones Action

After a half hour of confused parliamentary wrangling, the Student Council last night postponed action on a "proposal to end the inequities in the Honors in General Studies program."

Originally advocated by President Edward L. Croman '60, the resolution noted that certain departments "consistently refuse to consider petitions for Honors in General Studies" and called on the Committee on Educational Policy to insure a uniform system of making such awards.

David M. Balabanian '60 took issue with Croman's assumption that cum laude in General Studies was originally intended by the CEP to be an award to those who do not try for Honors in a particular field but still do outstanding work.

Balabanian felt that "only those with a valid excuse" for not entering the Honors program were qualified, and that the CEP had left it up to the particular department to decide who fit this description.

A motion to set up a committee to investigate the issue and report back with specific cases of inequities was defeated. Subsequently an amendment was proposed to have a committee determine the original intent of the CEP.

This latter amendment was challenged as out of order, but vice-president Eugene H. Zagat, Jr. '61, presiding at this point, ruled it legitimate. His ruling was appealed, the appeal was withdrawn, and another appeal was made.

After the Council had upheld the ruling of the chair, Abraham F. Lowenthal '60, who made the original amendment, moved to table discussion.