Crimson Nine Trounces B.C., 9-1; Wadsworth Gives Up Only 4 Hits

Cold Wind Mars Game

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

Ed Wadsworth pitched his finest game of the year and former J.V. outfielder Dave Shima delivered three important hits in five trips to the plate, as the Crimson baseball team defeated Boston College, 6 to 1, yesterday at Soldiers Field.

A large portion of the credit for this Crimson victory must go, unfortunately, to the adverse weather which prevailed throughout the game. A high wind was blowing at most times and the temperature was a wintry 40 degrees. B.C. pitcher George Giersch, perhaps the finest hurler in the Greater Boston League is primarily a slow ball, control pitcher, and he just could not keep the fine edge on his pitches under such conditions.

On the other hand, the Crimson's Ed Wadsworth seemed to thrive on the cold and wind. Wadsworth walked only two men in nine innings, gave up four hits and struck out four to give coach Norm Shepard his strongest pitching performance of the year.

The varsity picked up its first run in the second inning when Charlie Ravenel walked, advanced to second on a fielders choice and stole third when an argument developed on the pitcher's mound without the umpire's calling time out. He scored on a long fly ball to centerfield by Mo Balboni.

With two out in the fifth inning, Ravenel again set things moving with a single to deep shortstop and stole second a few pitches later. Then Shima blasted a double between the gap in left centerfield to give the Crimson a 2-0 lead.

B.C. closed the Crimson's lead to one run in the sixth when shortstop Dick Tierney led off with a triple and scored on Gerry Hamel's single.

Iouse Kasarjian opened with a walk an advanced to second on a bunt by Wadsworth which caught the B.C. infield off balance. An error by third baseman Ra Stebbins on a sacrifice attempt by Gerge Harrington then loaded the bases. Captain John Davis singled to center scoring Kasarjian and Wadsworth. Harrington then scored from first on a wild throw. A few seconds later Davis brought in the Crimson's final run on a passed ball.

After this outburst, Wadsworth, who has shown signs of weakening in the fifth and sixth innings, bore down and retired nine of the last ten men to face him.

This afternoon the varsity plays another Greater Boston League contest, this time against Boston University,