Administration Hikes Faculty Salary Scales

$16 Million From Program to Defray Costs Of Fourth Overall Raise in Last Six Years

By Paul S. Cowan

For the fourth time since 1953, the Administration has granted an increase in faculty salaries throughout the University, the CRIMSON learned yesterday. Teaching fellows, instructors, and assistant professors will receive a hike in maximum salary, while the average pay for associate and full professors will rise this year.

Funds for the increase will probably come from tuition and from $16 million earmarked for faculty salaries in the Program for Harvard College.

Both instructors and assistant professors will receive a $500 increase in maximum salary. The first group will earn up to $6,000 and the second up to $8,200. Salaries for teaching fellows--paid by the percentage of a 40 hour week spent in preparation and instruction of classes--will be raised $80 per fifth.

The pay scale for associate professors--$8500 to $11,000--and full professors--$12,000 to $20,000--will remain the same as this year, but the average salary for men in both brackets will increase by $1,000. Since 1956, the average Harvard professorial salary has risen from $13,000 to $16,000.

Although Dean Bundy commented that the pay scale is "sensible," he added that faculty members are not receiving, in real terms, the amount they were paid in 1930.